Tuesday 10 November 2009

Ideas - Part 1

Idea 1


The certificate I have chosen to classify my film with is PG (parental guidance)

mostly due to this being the classification of many other period films which include scenes which include smoking scenes, mild violence/scary/threat scenes and references to sex.


My first idea for a film opening begins with the camera coming in to focus on a photograph in a frame on top of a side table. I then intend to have the camera pan across the table revealing other photographs and related paraphernalia (such as an ashtray, newspaper, clock, calander etc), The camera continues to pan across the room stopping to depict the main character (a young woman) sitting at a dressing table applying makeup and preparing for a party.


I intend to establish the genre (period) within the opening two minutes by using such typical codes and conventions in period films, these including: use of period music/ music that is typical of the period. which in the instance of my first idea would be music from the 1920s, as this is the time period in which I have chosen to set my first idea, through the use of the font in the opening titles. Which in this instance could vary some considerable way from the elegant serif fonts typical of the 1910s and early 1920s to the much more simple art deco fonts typical of the late 1920s. I also had planned to focus the camera on certain props such as a newspaper or party invitation with the date clearly in view in order to convey a solid date for the period

this may be pivotal if I am unable to successfully locate enough other signifiers of the chosen period.

I had planned to use several shots which included panning across a bedroom, similar to the used in the opening two minutes of the film Atonement. I had also considered using considerable use of the over the shoulder shot, as much of the two minutes would be focusing on the main character a young woman getting ready for a party. With the over the shoulder shots being in my opinion the most useful technique for filming the main character applying make up. Another shot which could be used for this particular scene would be the more traditional close up and extreme close up.

Concerning characters I had originally planned to use only the main character. However I am now considering the possible advantages of introducing a secondary character such as a maid or servant assisting the main character to dress, I also think this would help enforce the status and wealth of the main character. However now considering this I will need to plan and research how servants are represented in period dramas, how they talk especially to their employers and finally how much dialogue would be required during the scene.

I think that the only permissions I might need for this idea would be the location - a period bedroom with period furnishings for use as the main characters bedroom. The other possibility could be with the use of period music.



Idea 2



My second idea for the opening of a period drama, was initially to follow two walking figures or a horse and carriage along a country road and subsequently the driveway of a country house. With the two main characters (a young man and woman) stopping at the front door of the house, or descending from the carriage. At which point the two characters will embrace with one of them stating they will be very happy in their new home and the other agreeing with them.


I intend to establish the genre this time mostly through the use of costume, which I've chosen to be Victorian, Also through the use of the long countryside landscape shots typical of period dramas. And finally with the country estate another typical feature of period dramas. I also intend to make the film titles reflect the film genre once again by using a font typical of the period, so in this instance most likely a gothic font. I plan on using several types of shots including the very long shot - for when the couple approach the house, the house itself and the surrounding landscape. As well as the two person shot when the couple are conversing.




No comments:

Post a Comment